Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 2 - Wednesday

Last night I climbed in bed with a few minutes to spare and reached for "The Shadow Within". Flipping through to find my place I went too far, then not far enough, then finally found my place. I was just thinking, "Aha! Here it is." When my phone buzzed letting me know it was time to turn out the light.
I did. I'd already drank the fizzy herbal concoction and felt fuzzy and relaxed and then...
A man came in my room. A very tall, very broad man. For a moment I thought it was Ryan before realizing he was TOO tall and too broad to be Ryan, clearly outlined in the dark.
Then - he disappeared, the outline which was so clear faded into the blackness of the room. I gasped and jerked upright, swaying. Oh. I was dreaming. Light slides under the door and PeeWee is leaving the room next to mine. Maybe it was him that I sensed.
I don't know. After my heart rate returns to normal, I check my clock and find it to be 11:30. Mwaa-haa! I DID fall asleep! Before midnight. Improvement. And I went back to sleep to dream about ice skating on frozen swimming pools and using Pop's newly ordered rabbit cages to store stuffed animals in so they won't be completely empty.
Yeah. I lose all control of my imagination at night.
There were a few times that I woke but I went straight back to sleep until my phone buzzed and Val asked if I was alive today.
It was 5:55. Was I? I did a mental check. Arms. Limp. Leg's. Limp. Eyes... closing.
I'm not sure yet.
But I made myself roll out of bed knowing if I stayed there another minute I would fall back asleep. One can't afford to wake up slowly or gently when waking at 6:00.
I fumbled to dress and got outside at 6:02 where it was still twilight. 2.30 miles later, I had walked two different routes and was still struggling to stay awake. I hung up and sprinted the last half-block home.
Then went upstairs, finished my water and ate a banana before jumping in a shower which I ran cold water on to help my waking up efforts. Then stood in the kitchen waiting for that moment when random ingrediantes in the fridge and pantry would compile in my mind to create a meal.
I ended up making fancy scrambled eggs - which is really an omlette made by those of us who can't actually get the thing to turn without it ending up scrambled eggs anyway. Pop had fallen asleep with the TV on and so I got to watch that magic hair roller that straightens with just the right amount of heat to give you large curls, silky polished hair, straight, with body. The trial was only 14.99 for thirty days and I listened to see what it said it would cost after that but these guys were slick and didn't even put a * at the bottom to explain what happened after the trial was over.
I had already found out the perfect tool to use to make your face young and smooth. I'm telling you people. Had I picked up the phone, I could have changed my life and had forever smooth, young skin with silky, sleek hair all before breakfast.
Instead I cleaned out the dishwasher, left the pots and pans to be scrubbed later and returned to my room to comb out my wet, not silking and smooth hair and cover my aging, rough face with natural make-up so I can hide my secrets from the world. Actually, if I was honest, my hair is still in a wet braid waiting to be combed out from the shower. But you get the point.
My bed beckoned. I resisted, tearing off the bedding to throw in the wash. You can't take a nap without snuggling under soft covers and you certainly can't if they're soapy and wet. That didn't seem like enough though, so I sorted out my laundry on my bed waiting for their chance for all their soapy fun.
Then I turned on Pastor Greg's sermon to listen to while I put my room back in order. I ended up stretching while the sermon finished and chatting with my brother who came to put his shoes on in my room and ask permission to take the car to his medical appointments since his gave up the ghost.
Getting all teary-eyed over the way that God kept a family from going bankrupt when they started tithing, I found I enjoyed stretching while sitting cross-legged which gave you that feel good stretch and not the "Ow. I'm not flexible at all" stretch.
Though I was pleasantly surprised to find I could touch my toes on both sides with straight legs. I can't always do that.
With my room in that clean-but-clutter-feeling state, I sat at the computer to update my blog before I forgot all the good details like the book torture the night before. And Pop calls that the phone is for me.
The house phone? For me??
My first thought is somehow Kevin, the Johavah's Witness that has been coming around has found my phone number. Then I realize how stupid that is. But I can't think of who knows me that has Grandma's number and not mine. It's Brandi wanting to know dates for Joseph so she doesn't schedule her production at the same time.
I hang up with her and sit back down. Swaying. Telling myself I can edit today and stay awake. Telling myself if I'm still this sleepy I can always take a nap once my bed is cleared. Telling myself I need to move the load over and do a second so my bed WILL be cleared.
And after that I'm starting "The Captive."
I'm glad today it's editing pre-written text.
If I was writing, the characters might curl up on the ground and go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment